Date:      Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:46:56 -0500
From:      Ken Stevenson <ken@abbott.allenmyland.com>
To:        Aaron Dalton <aaron@daltons.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Problems with X11 Forwarding

On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 12:33:24PM -0700, Aaron Dalton wrote:
> Ken Stevenson wrote:
> >
> >I'm new to FreeBSD, so I may be off base, but I use vncserver on my
> >FreeBSD box when I need an X session. Then I just setup Putty to forward
> >port 5900 to 127.0.0.0:5901, make an ssh connection to my FreeBSD server,
> >run
> >UltraVNC on my Windows box and connect to localhost.
> >

> Thanks for your reply!  I have been told VNC is a good way to go as
> well, but some have mentioned some performance issues.  What have you
> found?  It works liveably well?

It works great for me. I have a pretty fast internet connection (cable
modem).

One thing I like about it is the session doesn't end when you
disconnect. You can start a long running process like cvsup, disconnect,
and come back later to check on it.

Unlike when you vnc to a Windows box, you don't get the X session
that's on the local workstation, you get a new one. If you need to
connect to the primary X session, like for remote support, there's a
version of VNC in the ports for that too (xvnc?).
--
Ken Stevenson
Allen-Myland Inc.