Date:      Wed, 1 Jan 2014 06:26:55 +0000
From:      "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>
To:        Jason Hellenthal <jhellenthal@dataix.net>
Cc:        Devin Teske <dteske@freebsd.org>, "rc@freebsd.org" <rc@freebsd.org>, "net@freebsd.org" <net@freebsd.org>, "Teske, Devin" <Devin.Teske@fisglobal.com>, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
Subject:   Re: network.subr _aliasN handling

On Dec 31, 2013, at 10:14 PM, Jason Hellenthal wrote:

>=20
>=20
>> On Dec 31, 2013, at 23:20, Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com=
> wrote:
>>=20
>>> On 12/27/2013 9:53 PM, jhellenthal@dataix.net wrote:
>>> Looking at _alias'N' sequentialy feels like a neucense.
>>=20
>> It is.  It's also very easy to overlook a gap and have the system break =
on a reboot.  I thought ipv4_addrs_* was a good solution.
>>=20
>=20
> Ipv4_addrs var while nice can get very lengthy very quick and then more p=
rone to humanized errors. If you add ipv6 in there it grows horizontally te=
nfold.
>=20
> There just isn't an easy way around this unless we were to for say  . . .=
=20
> /etc/ifconfig_ipv4
> /etc/ifconfig_ipv6
>=20
> And then read in the lines one by one as . . .=20
> $INTERFACE $ADDR $OPTS
>=20
>=20
> Personally I like the way Debian handles this but I really only see a nee=
d for handling it the initial way I wrote about non-sequentially which puts=
 it fairly close to how they do it.

Which I bet my patch would implement it the way you want.
Any chance to get around to testing it yet?
--=20
Devin

The information contained in this message is proprietary and/or confidentia=
l. If you are not the intended recipient, please: (i) delete the message an=
d all copies; (ii) do not disclose, distribute or use the message in any ma=
nner; and (iii) notify the sender immediately. In addition, please be aware=
 that any message addressed to our domain is subject to archiving and revie=
w by persons other than the intended recipient. Thank you.