Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:27:56 -0500
From:      "Schleich, Arno Rene" <arnschle@iupui.edu>
To:        "Peter Jeremy" <peterjeremy@optushome.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-amd64@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: HP Pavilion DV6110us notebook install problems

Peter,

Thanks You so much. The chipset is nvidia mcp51.
I had tried tl "kldload snd_driver" but "cat /dev/sndstat" still doesn't
show any pcm sound devices. I have meanwhile restored the original winxp
oem system, but apart from being able to run applications I have no real
insight into this system - no shell, no command line, so I wonder how I
could obtain a list of PCI devices (actually the notebook is sold as
having PCI Express) ?
Interestingly, when I played with openSuse 10.2 the installation DVD
offers an acpi analysis tool. It is my understanding that this tool
deassmbles/decompiles the acpi tables and then recompiles/assembles it
with a standard compliant kit.=20

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=3D122145

offers a howto to get some idea how this works.

I still got to figure out how to save it's output short of manually
writing it down but

(i) the non standard compliant Microsoft kit was used to built the acpi
system=20

(ii) three errors were detected - Ethernet, processor thermal control
and a third one, the meaning of which is still obscure to me.

Regarding the smp - can't give any details, tried it once screen went
blank, system had to be reinstalled, wouldn't reboot o/w.

Wrt the wlan - if I ever get to this stage I'd definitely try to stay
with 64bit as I gathered the impression from other postings that
creating a 32/64bit hodgepodge seems to be opening the door for multiple
problems.

Arno