Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 10:42:25 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>
Cc:        "Michael C . Wu" <keichii@peorth.iteration.net>, Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: GSM vs. CDMA (was: VCD (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/dev/ata atapi-cd.c))

On Monday, 22 January 2001 at  1:14:22 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> At 10:31 AM +1030 2001/1/22, Greg Lehey wrote:
>
> 	The key factor governing accessibility and coverage in the US is
> that virtually all digital phones sold are dual-mode digital/analog,
> or tri-mode GSM/digital (CDMA or TDMA)/analog, and therefore you can
> almost always get coverage even if the coverage isn't ideal (or may
> require roaming).  That's simply not possible over here in Europe.

Nor would it make much difference, since the analogue networks in
Europe are much less well developed than in the USA.

Are you sure that you can get combined GSM/CDMA phones?  They'd be
particularly useful in Australia, where we have only partially
overlapping GSM service (in populated areas) and CDMA (in the
Outback).  There are no phones which will do both, and a salesdroid
recently told me, full of conviction, that there would never be such a
beast.

>>  Not a problem.  You store each of them on a SIMM.  When I go to other
>>  countries, I often borrow a local SIMM to save on costs.  Just try
>>  that with CDMA.
>
> 	SIMs are a major pain-in-the-ass.  Do you know how easy it is to
> lose those tiny little things?

No.  I've never lost one.

> I'd much prefer to have the multiple NAM capability in the phone
> itself, and not have SIMs at all.

It doesn't address the issue I've mentioned.

> 	The one and only thing SIMs have going for them is they make
> it easier to take your account information with you if you want/need
> to switch phones, but having multiple NAMs in a phone that
> implemented all the proper carrier technologies would pretty much
> eliminate the need to do that.

How do you move your personal phone directory?

> If you were to ever want to upgrade the phone, you should be able to
> have the necessary account information transferred from one phone
> directly to the other.

Ah.  Assuming the people know how to do it.

Greg