Date:      Thu, 02 Nov 2000 15:20:57 -0800
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
Cc:        Rasputin <rasputin@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: beginners with bsd

Giorgos Keramidas wrote:

> > Unlike (R**h**) Linux, where
> >
> > 'this manpage is no longer maintained - we just like installing files'
> >
> > seems to be the most common entry.
>
> What can anyone say about an OS where the manpages are considered something
> `extra' that is not part of the system itself? *sigh*

It's not just R**H**, it's all of the Linux distributions that use GNU.
GNU wants you to use info instead of man. What is especially obnoxious
is when you use info and see the words "this man page is not longer
maintained...".

I've been tempted to write an info2man conversion utility and donate it
to GNU, but I know that they would never use it, too heretical.

David