Date:      Wed, 01 Feb 2012 09:12:09 -0500
From:      "Eric W. Bates" <ericx@ericx.net>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.pp.ru>
Subject:   Re: allowing gif thru ipfw

On 2/1/2012 3:06 AM, Doug Barton wrote:
> If it's a hurricane electric tunnel don't you want protocol 41?

Well, it's a straight up gif. Right this second I'm trying to suss out
which protocol gif's use. If it's documented, I can't find it. The
closest bit I can find on the man page is:

The behavior of gif is mainly based on RFC2893 IPv6-over-IPv4 configured
tunnel.

I tried to read the pertinent parts of the RFC, but it doesn't really
discuss "type" or "protocol". It does talk about some header size issues.

Since ipfw is obviously blocking something and I can't get a handle on
it with tcpdump, I'm groping for an understanding of the shape of the
gif packets.