Date:      Thu, 29 Dec 2005 08:21:46 +0000
From:      Brian Candler <B.Candler@pobox.com>
To:        Matt Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange problem with kldload and pf

On Wed, Dec 28, 2005 at 11:50:06AM -0500, Matt Emmerton wrote:
> Sometimes kldload fails mysteriously, and more helpful error messages are
> dumped in /var/log/messages.  But only sometimes.

Ah, got it:

Dec 28 15:39:37 candlerb kernel: link_elf: symbol in6_cksum undefined

So I'm guessing the standalone 'pf.ko' module was built to expect INET6
around, even though INET6 was commented out of the kernel configuration at
the time it was built.

By building pf into the kernel, everything is OK.

This does smell like a bug to me though.

Regards,

Brian.