Date:      Wed, 4 May 2016 00:03:41 -0700
From:      Greg Byshenk <freebsd@byshenk.net>
To:        ports@freebsd.org
Cc:        Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: old ports/packages

On Wed, May 04, 2016 at 01:44:29PM +0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On 3/05/2016 2:31 PM, Mathieu Arnold wrote:
> > +--On 3 mai 2016 12:02:13 +0800 Julian Elischer <julian@freebsd.org> wrote:

> > | I'm not looking to produce old packages of the ports tree.. I know the
> > | ports crew would hate me for that.
> > |
> > | What I object to is not having the tools needed to generate MY OWN
> > | PACKAGES in ports.

> > You can generate your own packages from the ports tree, just not with
> > pkg_install, it was deprecated three or four years ago, and remove 19
> > months ago.

> Of course I can create NEW packages..  I want to generate OLD style
> packages..
>
> what's so hard to understand about that?  if a company has old
> packages build into it's infrastructure....
>
> and has to create old style packages of "proprietary stuff" to send
> out to appliances out in the field then you are breaking them.

I'm not a developer, so anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong
in any of this, but...

Julian, you -can- create old-style packages (eg: of proprietary
internal software); you just have to do it based on an old-style
ports tree (which you can checkout, if you need it, as noted
above).

What you cannot do is create old-style packages from a new ports
tree. This is because the ports infrastructure has been changing
since pkg_install was deprecated, and pkg_install simply will not
work with the current ports tree (and, as I understand it, cannot
practically be modified in order to work with it).

But again, you -can- still build old-style packages if that is
required: just check out a ports tree that works with old-style
packages and use that to package your "proprietary stuff".

--
greg byshenk  -  gbyshenk@byshenk.net  -  Leiden, NL