Date:      Mon, 4 Sep 2000 10:10:28 +0200
From:      Willem Brown <willem@brwn.org>
To:        Scott Dubose <digitalox@earthlink.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need help restoring root

Hi,

You can try to boot into single user mode.

Reboot the box and hit the space bar when it displays the following.

Hit [ENTER] to boot immediately or any other key for command prompt.
Booting [kernel] in 10 seconds.

When you hit any other key you'll get an "ok" prompt, type boot -s
and it will boot into single user mode.

ok boot -s

The kernel will now boot. When it is done you'll get to another prompt
asking for the shell to use, just hit the enter key to use /bin/sh

Enter full pathname of shell or RETURN for /sbin/sh:

Now you have to mount the root file system rw so you can make changes to
the password database. You'll also have to mount the other file systems
so you can access the utilities to make the changes.

/bin/mount -a
/usr/bin/chsh -s /bin/csh root

exit

After you hit exit, the system will continue to boot into multi-user mode.

HTH

Hit the space bar when the loader is doing a countdown from 10(?). Then
type boot -s.
On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 02:30:14AM -0500, Scott Dubose wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently installed FreeBSD 4.0. I was attempting to change root's default
> shell to bash, but typed in the wrong path. Now it won't let me log in as
> root. I tried to su in from a normal user but it says the user is in the
> wrong group to do that, and I can't do anything about the group because I
> can't sign in as root.
>
> Any suggestions welcome, I do have a little previous linux/unix experience.
>
> Thank you,
> Scott

Best Regards
Willem Brown
--
 /*      Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD. The choice is yours.      */

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.