Date:      Sat, 5 Oct 2002 22:43:09 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@secnetix.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: burncd error

parv <parv_fm@emailgroups.net> wrote:
 > in message <200210050749.g957nth4092664@lurza.secnetix.de>,
 > wrote Oliver Fromme thusly...
 > > You can even go a step further and let mkisofs create Joliet and
 > > Apple (HFS) extensions on the CD.  You will then have four
 > > different kinds of directory descriptions on the CD for the same
 > > content.  The cool thing is that every operating system picks the
 > > one most suitable for itself.
 >
 > you forgot to mention one thing that having multiple OS
 > compatibility layers will result in much lower available space than
 > expected.

It depends.  The rockridge extensions don't take that much
space.  I often make CD-ROMs (always with rockridge, of
course) that are very close to the 650 or 700 Mbyte limit
of the respective CD-Rs.  The overhead isn't that large,
unless maybe you have _really_ many small files on it, i.e.
several hundreds of thousands.

As for the Joliet and Apple stuff, those _might_ take a bit
more space, particularly the Apple/HFS filesystem data with
its "resource forks".  I don't normalle create CD-ROMs with
HFS extensions on them, though.

Regards
   Oliver