Date:      Wed, 6 Sep 1995 18:43:21 +0000 ()
From:      Robert Burns <rjbproc@Vir.com>
To:        marino.ladavac@aut.alcatel.at
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ghostscript and HP Laserjet II

> > When I print tiff2ps files using gs configured for laserjet, the output is
> > cropped by about 25 pixels on the top and 50 pixels on the right margin.
>
> GhostScript's printer drivers have an internal notion of margins.  They crop
> off everything that falls out of them.  I had to reduce right margin on my
> installation in order not to lose some page space.

How did you go about doing this?

> The top margin is probably reduced because gs believes that you use different
> paper size than the one required by .ps file.  It always tries to align
> bottom margin right.  If the file requires a4, you will have to specify
> PAPERSIZE=a4 on gs command line.

I added PAPERSIZE=a4 to unix-lpr.sh but nothing changed.

> > I know the complete image is contained in the Postscript file because I can
> > see it using gs in my X display.
>
> > If tried a number of things but I am unable to solve the problem. Please
> > help!
>
> It would have helped have you enumeratd the things you have tried.

I tried playing around with the resolution, page size, and pixel density
on tiff2ps and gs commands.
I did manage to get a good printout only after I changed the following
line (16) directly in the Postscript file:

%!PS-Adobe-3.0 EPSF-3.0
%%Creator: tiff2ps
%%Title: fax000142
%%CreationDate: Tue Sep  5 21:40:54 1995
%%Origin: 0 0
%%BoundingBox: 0 0 610 791
%%Pages: (atend)
%%EndComments
%%Page: 1 1
gsave
100 dict begin
609.882324 790.530640 scale
%ImageData: 1728 1076 1 1 0 1 2 "image"
/scanLine 216 string def
1728 1076 1
[1728 0 0 -1076 0 1076]  	  ---> changed to [1728 0 -50 -1100 0 1076]
{currentfile scanLine readhexstring pop} bind
image

Robert Burns (rjbproc@vir.com)
Mtl., Ca.