Date:      Sat, 18 Nov 2000 05:20:30 EST
From:      mike johnson <ahze@slaughter.necro.edu>
To:        "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>, "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: setting up freeBSD

On Sat, 18 Nov 2000, Kathy Quinlan wrote:
> Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2000 15:44:14 +0800
> To: "freebsd questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
> From: "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>
> Subject: setting up freeBSD
>
> Hi all I am a newbie :o)
>
> I am setting up a freeBSD box that will control so dedicated io cards
> under
> C (not a problem they currently run in this machine under dos using QB)
>
> This box will also be a server for the local LAN (Mac to PC interface)
> printer server for Mac, internet distribution and ftp / email / web
> server
> (not much traffic).
>
> The machine specs are :
>
> 486 Dx2 66
> 16Mb ram
> 800Mb hdd

I have the same setup on a box. But I have a 550meg hdd and 12meg of ram.
and it runs FreeBSD 4.1-Stable. You say you want it to be a print server ,
ftp , email , and web? Well I ran apache on mine and it was doing all my
mail. I would not use a 66mhz box with that little ram as a webserver if it
gets a good bit of hits. Or if your are doing ANY php/perl/etc scripts. I
did a good bit of php and it was not too great on the speedy side. I also
reloaded a page with a good bit of php in it as fast as i could just to see
if the box could handle it. Well it got really laged and I had to reboot.
The only real way to say 'yes' this will work , is for you to try it.