Date:      Fri, 18 May 2001 10:50:18 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Stephen Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
Cc:        stellayu@ca.inter.net, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple back up method

Stephen Hovey wrote:

> I would forget tar and cpio (I had restoration problems when using tape) -
> the thing Ive found the most reliable that comes with freebsd is pax
>
> email if you want a sample backup and restore line.
>
> On Wed, 16 May 2001 stellayu@ca.inter.net wrote:
>

>> I want to backup the whole system in simple backup method and command
>> eg:
>>
>> Running tar command in root directory for whole system? tar zcvf
>>
>> Could you suggest to me?
>>
>> thanks,

>> with "unsubscribe freebsd-questions" in the body of the message

man dump

Or for a quick example:

dump -0au /

Which means: dump the filesystem mounted on /, automatically detect the
tape size, and use a full (complete) backup (the 0) part.
To do incremental backups after this initial level 0, just increase the
dump level, full restore use the latest 0 level, and the latest
incremental(s).
	Suggest though you man dump first.

--
Nathan Vidican