Date:      Sun, 21 Dec 1997 18:38:08 -0900 (AKST)
From:      mlduke@concentric.net
To:        Shane Brothen <pierced@geocities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: HELP!  A.S.A.P!

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Shane Brothen wrote:

Please don't do that. As a RankUnixNewbe myself, with 11 years experience
on one of the most sophisticated business user systems ever, I will say
simply that with "$" in front of you, you are looking at more computer
power than you ever thought possible.

You are on the command line--and you now have in front of you the power to
manage a banking system, a stock exchange or the world's largest ISP just
to name a few examples.

If it looks hopeless to you now, press on and you will become
excited...and then it will appear hopeless...overcome that...more
excitement...more hopeless...etc with each step leading to your increasing
power.

As Charlie Root pointed out, those of us who were power users in another
world find ourselves to be mere ignorant babies in the FreeBSD/UNIX world.

But in that world lies help for those who would simultaneously help
themselves--people doing the wonder of paying back what others did for
them by helping still others undergoing the same struggle.

And our obligation--yes You as well as I--is to learn, put the power to
productive use and then pass on what we will have learned when the
opportunity arises.

My evidence that such is the case? Please post the number of encouraging
replies you have received--both public and private.

Then go to Mircosoft and ask them for help with something.

Good luck.

You've accomplished a mighty first step at which many have failed.

ML Duke