Date:      Fri, 6 Jul 2001 21:04:56 +0000
From:      Vadim Plessky <lucy-ples@mtu-net.ru>
To:        Tom Hukins <tom@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: dead link in documentation - FONTS -> ttf2pf.ps

On Friday 06 July 2001 16:19, Tom Hukins wrote:
|   On Wed, Jun 20, 2001 at 02:48:20AM +0000, Vadim Plessky wrote:
|   > http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/fonts/article.html
|   >
|   > I want to download "ttf2pf.ps" file.
|   > Unfortunately, at link pointing to it:
|   > http://sunsite.icm.edu.pl/pub/GUST/contrib/BachoTeX98/ttf2pf
|   > is dead
|
|   This link is still working for me.  Could you try again, please?

ok, I will try once more :-)

|   > After some searching, I found new location for it, or it's availabl=
e on
|   > SourceForge:
|   > http://ttf2pt1.sourceforge.net
|
|   This seems to be a different project to me.

yes, I found later one that project is different.

|   Maybe it would be worth linking to both in the tutorial?  If you've
|   had a good look at them both and would like to send in some text, I'l=
|   be happy to modify the tutorial.

I am now rather familiar with this program, and it works very well, IMO.
Quality of TTF fonts converted by it to TrueType, is very good.
I was looking for TrueType to PostScript Type1 font convertor, and this=20
program suits my needs (ok, it has some bugs/glitches, but it is still un=
der=20
development, and last version was released just in June 2001)
Developers plan to add Flex hint and FamilyBlues to future versions, so i=
t=20
can immprove general quality of generated fonts.

What's also quite interesting is the fact that: *GhostScript can handle=20
TrueType fonts*. Here are some answers I received just today on gs-devel =
list:

--------------
Yes, TrueType is supported natively in GhostScript. The current
renderer does not interpret the hints in the TrueType font (solely
because of patent problems). For printing at resolutions of 600dpi
and higher, the difference is subtle.

You'll need to embed the font as a "Type 42" font. This is described
on pages 346-348 of the PostScript Language Reference Manual, 3rd
ed. Note that this is a "LanguageLevel 3" feature, so it won't work
with older laser printers. Ghostscript has supported these since
version 3.66, over five years ago.
--------------
 Just wanted to add a note to Raph's that if you have TT fonts in a
 folder identified to Ghostscript with the GS_FONTPATH environment
variable, or via the -sFONTPATH=3D command line switch, then GS will
automatically scan the folder for any valid fonts, Type 1 or TT
and add these to the Fontmap. The scan is done when GS is asked to
find a font that does not have an existing entry in the Fontmap.
There is no need to convert the TT fonts to Type 42.=20
--------------

I haven't tried both proposed solutions, but they look like quite promisi=
ng.
May be, you will want to add these tips to documentation as well.=20

|   Regards,
|   Tom

--=20
Best Regards,

Vadim Plessky
http://kde2.newmail.ru  (English)
http://kde2.newmail.ru/kde_themes.html
Do you have Arial font installed? Just test it!
http://kde2.newmail.ru/font_test_arial.html