Date:      Wed, 04 Dec 1996 20:59:55 -0800
From:      Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        CVS-committers@freefall.freebsd.org, ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: news/lib - lib/news ???

I'm strongly against this change, and as the inn-current maintainer refuse
to make it (and won't let it go in).

There's a large installed base of inn users that will get screwed the next
time they upgrade if you do this.  Given that inn is the dominant news system
and /explicitly changed/ to follow this new format,  I think you're making
a mistake trying to move backwards in time.

If that's not enough, I *like* the inn directory layout.  Inn is a standalone
subsystem.

  From: roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
  According to Satoshi Asami:
  > I agree.  I propose lib/news, to adhere to the BSD standard.
  > Actually, config files should go to etc/news, system executables
  > libexec or sbin, and user executables to bin (not news/bin or
  > lib/news/bin).

  Well, it depends :-)

  I'd say now, after a few experiences:

  - /usr/local/news/bin   binaries
  - /usr/local/news/sbin  "system" binaries (innd, nnrpd)
  - /usr/local/news/lib   config. files (inn.conf, newsfeeds, and so on).
  - /news                 spool partition(s)
  - /var/news             active & history (big files)

  YMMV.
  --
  Ollivier ROBERT    -=- The daemon is FREE! -=-    roberto@keltia.freenix.fr
    FreeBSD keltia.freenix.fr 3.0-CURRENT #29: Sun Nov 24 16:05:46 MET 1996