Date:      Thu, 21 Jun 2001 23:14:37 -0700
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "John Jennings" <my_pinup_girl@www.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: terminal emulation

Hyperterminal is probably expecting the CD (Carrier Detect)
line to be held high.  Some null-modem cables have CD pinned
to DSR/DTR, other's don't.

Try telling Hyperterminal to go Direct to Com1 (or Direct to
Com2 if need be) this might do it.

You also might try getting an old copy of Procomm or Telemate
for DOS from Simtel.net and booting the Windows system into
DOS and using that  There may be some funky programming going on
in the serial port.

Also, I'd suggest to that you go buy one of those cheap $10
RS232 "breakout" adapters from Radio Shack that has the
little lights on each of the lines.  This can assist in
troubleshooting (of course it's not as good as a _real_ RS
232 breakout box but the real ones are a lot more expensive)