Date:      Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:45:14 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Automounting smbfs?

Kirk Strauser wrote:

>On Friday 08 April 2005 14:12, you wrote:
>

>>Kirk,  here's what I did to auto mount my pesky windows shared backup
>>folder prior to having a seperate nfs mount to put them.
>>
>>Configure your share as noauto in /etc/fstab (example)
>>

>[...]
>
>Out of curiosity, why would you do that instead of just letting FreeBSD
>mount it automatically (which is what I do now)?

I'm assuming that it's a minor league paranoid measure to ensure
that, in the event the windows host(s) are unavailable, you don't
hang up the boot process somehow.  That's what it is for *me*,
anyhow.  (I don't even list smbfs shares in /etc/fstab....)

AFAIK, it would just delay booting a bit, but IANAE.  That's why I do
it from cron, anyway; that, and because I learned about cron long
before I learned about rc scripts...

>The goal I'm trying to accomplish is pushing the same map to multiple
>machines (eg via LDAP).  I never bothered to do that with my NFS mounts,
>but I'm using the addition of the SMB shares as an excuse to rework the
>system before it grows much more.

I'm no help there, I'm afraid.  I do have scripts now that do my
post-install configuration, and might be tweaked to "push out"
smbfs mounts (via cron, as mentioned above), but that's about
it...nothing so complex as LDAP. :)

Kevin Kinsey