Date:      Thu, 20 Sep 2001 21:16:54 +0100
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MAKEDEV 4.4-STABLE still offering problems

On Tue, Sep 18, 2001 at 04:50:49PM +0200, Hartmann, O. wrote:
> MAKEDEV still offers problems on our Intel based SMP machines. We
> did
> a cvsupdate today (18th Sept. 2001), did a mergemaster again, copied manually
> MAKEDEV from the source tree to the appropriate location, compiled a kernel,
> did a reboot, then did a MAKEDEV all in ./dev.
> MAKEDEV results in a weird error (arith ...) and shows up srange symbols
> within the xterm. This happens on all Intel machines but not on our AMD based
> UP machine (and this seems to be strange ...).
>
> I saw a lot of postings here but with no appropriate solution. What is wrong?
> Please help.
>
> --
> MfG
> O. Hartmann
>
> ohartman@klima.physik.uni-mainz.de
> IT-Administration des Institutes fuer Physik der Atmosphaere (IPA)
> Johannes Gutenberg Universitaet Mainz
> Becherweg 21
> 55099 Mainz
>
> Tel: +496131/3924662 (Maschinenraum)
> Tel: +496131/3924144
> FAX: +496131/3923532

Hi,

I always used CPUTYPE flag. Today I removed it and update the entire system.

The result is that now I can run MAKEDEV without any errors.

Maybe this error is related to CPUTYPE tag, but there is a lot of people that
remove the CPUTYPE tag too and it didn't solve the problem.

Bye,

Nuno Teixeira
Dir. Técnico
pt-quorum.com