Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 09:19:08 -0500
From:      "gh" <grasshacker@linkfast.net>
To:        <freebsd-chat@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why encourage stupid people to use *BSD WAS:Re: IE for FreeBSDPetition

> On Thu, 25 May 2000, gh wrote:
>
> >Do you really want these people polluting the FreeBSD user base?
>
> An emphatic YES. That is the whole point of advocacy. This sort of
> effetism is wrong. The entire community is full of MS users. Many people
> on this list "brought me up" in the unix world. To these folks I am
> grateful.
>
> >As I start thinking about having to support these stupid people for
(Supreme
> >Being, do save us) FreeBSD, I also begin thinking about having my
toenails
> >peeled off one by one along with tearing off my flesh layer by layer.
>
> I wonder what the world would be like if doctors said this.
>
> >If you ever have done Windows technical support, for any field, you know
> >damn well that these people do not belong on FreeBSD.
>
> I have and you are still wrong. I have seen some very newbie folks come
> through, self included.
>
> >Please, I beg you, keep FreeBSD smart.
>
> Indeed. For instance, it is not very smart to lambaste Josef Grosch. We
> all use his code.
>
> The whole point of free software is that there is a community that
> contributes to the cause. That includes inculcating new members to the
> community. We dare not discriminate against anyone. If we do, we shall
> loose that one thing that makes the community and the technology, the
> people.

Thank you, good sir, for completely ignoring my statements.

I said that we should not encourage the *worst* of *any* usergroup to use
FreeBSD.
I said specifically that I encouraged bringing people to FreeBSD, but not
forcefully shoving the lowest denominator into the FreeBSD world.

To further my point, almost everybody starts in the computing world in a
Microsoft environment simply because Microsoft is so widely known and used
for whatever reason, such as its psuedo-ease-of-use. That being as it is,
the likelihood that a large number of reasonable people are using Microsoft
is quite high and because of this reality, I say that we *should* bring
these people to FreeBSD, I too, and one of these people. However, for those
who are happy in a Microsoft world, for whatever reason (id est laziness,
stupidity, ignorance, or any of the plethora of reasons).

I apologize if either I was not clear enough in my first several e-mails or
if you and others truly have missed my point.
Either way, I hope it is clear by now.

Dan