Date:      Thu, 23 Oct 2003 10:50:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: battery status with ACPI

On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 05:57:03 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
> > Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
> >
> > On Thu, 23 Oct 2003, Oliver Brandmueller wrote:
> >
> > > Hi.

> > > At least for the battery status the APM applications work well for me
> > > through the emulated APM interface of the ACPI. For fanspeed,
> > > temperature and stuff like that this won't work.
> >
> > Xbattbar doesn't.  It can grok whether the machine is on wall power or
> > not, but that's it.  It cannot determine the battery level, and always
> > reports %100.  This was built using the port under RELENG_5_1.
>
> Do you have 'apm_enable="YES"' in rc.conf? Even though you are running
> ACPI, the parameter is still required if you want to be able to use
> the APM emulation capability. With this present, both the Gnome
> Battery Charge Monitor and the gkrellm battery builtin work just fine.
>
> Have you confirmed that ACPI is properly returning the values? 'sysctl
> hw.acpi' will provide the information available from ACPI and might
> also be a clue on the problem.

1:33pm ghast  /home/jamie %cat /etc/rc.conf | grep apm
apm_enable="YES"

Yes, I do.  this worked fine for me under 4-S, I was surprised when it
didn't under 5.1-R.

1:34pm ghast  /home/jamie %sysctl hw.acpi
hw.acpi.supported_sleep_state: S1 S3 S4 S5
hw.acpi.power_button_state: S5
hw.acpi.sleep_button_state: S1
hw.acpi.lid_switch_state: S1
hw.acpi.standby_state: S1
hw.acpi.suspend_state: S3
hw.acpi.sleep_delay: 0
hw.acpi.s4bios: 1
hw.acpi.verbose: 0
hw.acpi.disable_on_poweroff: 1
hw.acpi.thermal.min_runtime: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.polling_rate: 30
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.temperature: 2982
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.active: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0.thermal_flags: 0
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._PSV: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._HOT: -1
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._CRT: 3742
hw.acpi.thermal.tz0._ACx: -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1 -1
hw.acpi.acline: 1
hw.acpi.battery.life: -1
hw.acpi.battery.time: -1
hw.acpi.battery.state: 7
hw.acpi.battery.units: 2
hw.acpi.battery.info_expire: 5

1:48pm ghast  /home/jamie %uname -a
FreeBSD ghast 5.1-RELEASE-p10 FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p10 #2: Wed Oct 15
12:14:18 EDT 2003     jamie@ghast:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/ghast  i386

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"