Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 19:12:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Sam Carleton <scarleton@miltonstreet.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: the best MUA

Sam Carleton writes:
> > redirection facilities, and fetchmail.But I wouldn't advice anyone to
> > look at the emacs mail readers unless they were already using emacs.
> Amen to that.  I have the O'Reilly book on emacs, read it a few times, but
> it never sat right with me:)  I understand that it is a very powerful
> editor, but I finally gave in, and bought the vi book.  I am now an vi
> user:)

Basically, vi vs. emacs is two different philosophies. Emacs is
"modeless", in the sense that it doesn't have an "insert" mode. Unless
you're in the middle of a command, printing characters get inserted
into the buffer. Vi has distinct "edit" and "insert" modes. You either
hate having to switch modes, or you hate the long commands forced on
you by being modeless. The real advantage of the emacs mail readers is
that you're *in emacs*, so you always have an editor you know handy.

FWIW, I tend to use ex or vi as root for tweaking config files and the
like. If I could get the emacs client/server stuff to deal with
permissions properly, I might stop that.

> I am going to try mutt, and I might even try emacs:)

You might want to give mh a look. Instead of using a single file for a
mailbox, it uses directories with each message in a file. The upside
of this is that you can use standard unix commands on a per-message
basis. The downside is that there's a *lot* more I/O involved in
Unix commands that manipulate folders & messages in that format, but
there are a number of wrappers for them, including two Emacs modes, a
visual (like elm/pine/mutt/etc) mode, and an X interface (xmh).

	<mike