Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 2006 17:58:13 -0800
From:      Gary Kline <kline@tao.thought.org>
To:        Tofik Suleymanov <secnews@oxygen.az>
Subject:   Re: STressing a new server...

On Mon, Jan 02, 2006 at 12:11:31AM +0000, Tofik Suleymanov wrote:
> Gary Kline wrote:
>
> >	Folks,
> >
> >	When I bought this bare-bones box and plugged in "stuff"
> >	it took several days of figuring out what benchmark and
> >	other utilities to run to stress it.  After a few weeks of
> >	pushing the load to 70+, the burning-in was a fair indicator
> >	that the HW would last.  After 4+ years, no prob.  Now I
> >	have a new box, custom built.
> >
> >	Unfortunately, I've lost (or forgotten!) the same of the
> >	*.sh script and some of the utilities.  So what should I
> >	be running and with an example of args?  Last time I believe
> >	there were 5 or 6 stressors.
> >
> >	Also, what's the memory testor utility calld?  I have
> >	a gig of DDR in this new puppy, and want to be sure that
> >	every last BIT is good.
> >
> >	Help much appreciated!
> >
> >	gary
> >

> Try to do a make buildworld.

	Sure; no problem, but I want more.  BTW, most of you already
	know this, but it bears re-stating:  even memory and drives that
	have been well pounded can go bad after N months.  That's only
	happened to me onnce (with memory); a few times with drives.

	But failures are more likely in the first several days to a week
	or so.  No sense in eating a loss if testing will increase my
	odds... .

	gary

--
   Gary Kline     kline@thought.org   www.thought.org     Public service Unix