Date:      Tue, 23 Feb 1999 01:15:48 +0100
From:      Gianmarco Giovannelli <gmarco@scotty.masternet.it>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Current unassigned ports problem reports

At 09.31 23/02/99 +1030, Kris Kennaway wrote:
>> Especially the ports will become "old" before they are committing ... Is
>> there something that can accelerate the commit procedure ?
>> What an normal user can do to help in this process ?
>> i.e. a deep testing , an install test and so on.. ?
>
>It can't hurt to do some testing whether the port builds, installs, packages,
>etc, properly, whether there are any cosmetic changes which should be made to
>the makefiles, etc. Adding a "This builds and runs fine for me under
>FreeBSD-x.y" to the GNATS logs can't hurt things (although I'd only bother for
>PRs which seem like they have been around for a while untouched). And if
>course, if there are any problems, providing patches will help the committer's
>job (I would guess this is a problem with a lot of the older FreeBSD port
>submissions in the tree - people seem to be pretty good at sweeping the
>database and committing working ports (Hi Steve :-)).

Speaking about ports...
I always test my ports with portlint, then make , make install, make
deinstall, make package, run the program, deinstall it , install , make
package and so on... if everything is ok , not one but several time I send
the pr. I think all the other users that commit a pr make in this way , or
at least I hope :-)

>Since PR replies get sent here, it will also probably jog the committers into
>actually doing something if they see activity on the PR :-)

Yes I know, but for example I send a pr about an old cute simulator
enviroment called pmars which was used in an old game called corewar, but
noone here will be interested in it, I think, so I have no hopes to see it
committed even if the port is make in the right way  :-)

What about to involve more "manpower" in the debugging of the ports pr ? .
I don't want to say I am able to do it , my newbie status is not clear yet
:-), but I think there will be full of volunters ready to fight out of here
with all the pr-ports.  When the "trusted user" check the port and find it
is ok he can send the ok to the committer who has only to commit it ...
The average delay in committing a no problem pr-port have to be of no more
of few days.

Thanks for your kind reply...

Best Regards,
Gianmarco Giovannelli ,  "Unix expert since yesterday"
http://www.giovannelli.it/~gmarco
http://www2.masternet.it