Date:      Fri, 02 Mar 2001 14:44:00 -0800
From:      richard childers <fscked@pacbell.net>
To:        James Housley <jim@thehousleys.net>
Cc:        "Riley J. McIntire" <rjmcintire@earthlink.net>, FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Forwarding a mail file

No, he needs to transfer the mail *spool*.

I would use uuencode(1) combined with your file transfer protocol of choice. In
this way, there is no danger that intervening MTAs (Mail Transfer Agents) will
rewrite the headers or any lines starting with "^From".

That is, once it has been uuencode'd, it can be mailed (size permitting) just
like any other text message.

Now, if the problem is that it's too *big*, well, then it's time for split(1);
use split(1) on the output from uuencode(1) to separate the big file into
smaller pieces, which can be reassembled at the other end, just like TCP, but
much, much slower.   (-:

Hope this has been helpful,

-- richard

James Housley wrote:

> "Riley J. McIntire" wrote:
> >
> > Greetings:
> >
> > I have need to forward a users mail file, /var/mail/user, to another
> > address.  Is there a simple way to do this?  I've looked at /usr/bin/mail
> > and sendmail but can't seem to find how.
> >

> man 5 forward
>
> Jim
> --
> /"\   ASCII Ribbon Campaign  .
> \ / - NO HTML/RTF in e-mail  .
>  X  - NO Word docs in e-mail .
> jeh@FreeBSD.org      http://www.FreeBSD.org     The Power to Serve
> jim@TheHousleys.Net  http://www.TheHousleys.net

Richard A. Childers
Senor UNIX Administrator
fscked@pacbell.net (email)
203.556.8471 (voice/msgs)

# Providing administrative expertise (not 'damage control') since 1986.
# PGP fingerprint: 7EFF 164A E878 7B04 8E9F  32B6 72C2 D8A2 582C 4AFA