Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2000 11:50:20 +1200
From:      rshea@opendoor.co.nz
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suppressing SENDMAIL messages

> > > Don't login as root, or, switch to another virtual-console (ALT-F2).
> > >
> >Thanks for the suggestion. I should have said the error messages
> >are appearing from two sources SENDMAIL and NATD.
> >
> >The error messages appear simultaneously on all virtual-consoles
> >which are logged on and that's when I'm logged on as root or as
> >myself.
> >
> >Any hope of persuading SENDMAIL and NATD to not put the
> >messages up at all ?
>
> What are the error messages? Perhaps it would just be easier to fix the
> problems rather than try to avoid seeing them? =)  Otherwise, you can avoid
> NATD messages in the same way as the SENDMAIL messages...

OK well since I last wrote I have fixed the problem to some degree
(I think) by including MAILTO="" in the crontab (didn't know you
could do that, found it in an old Linux Journal article I was reading
over the w/e) - I've only had one invocation but I received no mail
and the SENDMAIL messages went away. For the record the error
messages are as follows :

Aug 21 09:01:01 sheahp sendmail[9113] unable to qualify my own
host domain name (sheahp) -- using short name
Aug 21 09:01:02 sheahp natd[148]: failed to write packet back
(Permission denied)

As you can guess my host name is sheahp. I assume the problem
with sendmail is related to my not having a domain name. The lack
of a domain name creates a number of boring problems including a
"sleeping for retry" whenever I reboot. I have had some suggestions
of how to get around it but I'm up to my ears in Samba at the
moment. As to the natd I had been assuming that whatever
sendmail was trying to do was upsetting the firewall (indirectly) and
hence the message. However any other ideas/fixes are welcome.

thanks for your interest

richard shea.

Open Door Ltd
PO Box 119-46