Date:      Fri, 20 Aug 1999 22:24:19 -0500
From:      Karl Denninger <karl@Denninger.Net>
To:        Jon Hamilton <hamilton@pobox.com>, Greg Black <gjb-freebsd@gba.oz.au>
Cc:        Will Andrews <andrews@TECHNOLOGIST.COM>, Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Securelevel 3 ant setting time

On Fri, Aug 20, 1999 at 10:19:48PM -0500, Jon Hamilton wrote:

> In message <19990820214657.1605.qmail@alice.gba.oz.au>, Greg Black wrote:
> } > Xntpd is not that difficult. Unlike ntpdate, it can update your system cloc
> } k
> } > while also acting as a time server for your local network, reducing bandwid
> } th
> } > costs (yes, minimal, if you have a very small network, but still worth time
> }  and
> } > money.) It is also more reliable and far more featureful than ntpdate (hey,
> } > encryption compensation!).
> }
> } Just as a bit of extra information, xntpd is useless for small
> } networks that don't have constant connectivity to time servers.
>
> Absolutely untrue.  There's value in keeping a group of machines
> synchronized to _each other_, regardless of whether they're also
> synchronized to the correct time.  It is true that _for some purposes_
> xntpd isn't all that useful in an intermittently-connected scenario,
> but that doesn't render it completely devoid of any value.
>
> --
>    Jon Hamilton
>    hamilton@pobox.com

Its not at all difficult to wire a GPS to be the "master" upon which XNTPD
syncs.

Without PPS output you won't be COMPLETELY accurate, but a few tens of
milliseconds should be good enough for most purposes :-)

Karl Denninger (karl@denninger.net)  Web: childrens-justice.org
Tired of the broken divorce system in the United States and what it's doing
to our kids?  SIGN the online petition for equal parental - and children's -
rights at the above URL.  Make a difference in a kid's life today.
Real-time chat now available from the above web page