Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 10:56:32 -0500
From:      Randall Stewart <randall@stewart.chicago.il.us>
To:        Matt Impett <M.Impett@flarion.com>
Cc:        "'Julian Elischer'" <julian@elischer.org>, Lars Eggert <larse@ISI.EDU>, "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: source address based routing

Matt Impett wrote:

> inline..

Matt:

Curiosity drives me to ask the question...

Where is the Foreign agent (FA)?

In most mobile IP scenarios I have been familar with (granted a
limited set.. and I have a tiny idea of how it should work
that may be dated) the mobile has a FA. The FA is either
co-located inside the mobile.. which in that case it would
have the tunnel back to the home agent... OR the FA is a
box somewhere in your network that picks up the packets
from the wire and then encapsulates them and stuffs them
back up the tunnel to the home agent... I think this is your
"access box" if I read things correctly.

In such a case the "access box" SHOULD have a valid address
on the network and should have its tunnel going from it
to the home agent.

All the FA needs to do is grab the packets sourced from these
mobiles. I would think the firewall should be able to redirect
these to your code much like the nat something like

... add divert natd all from any to any via ...

This will get your user space code all of the packets
going by on this box. From there I would think you could
write code that would look at the sources and put them into
the right tunnels... Not sure if you could use the GIF tunnel
itself... or just write the tunneling software yourself... probably
there is a creative way to do this with one of th GIF tunnels...

Randall R. Stewart
randall@stewart.chicago.il.us 815-342-5222 (cell phone)