Date:      Fri, 10 Jun 2005 08:23:41 +0200
From:      Martin Nilsson <martin@mullet.se>
To:        timt@sharktech.net
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: LSI MegaRaid 150-6

timt@sharktech.net wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is the 2nd time I search for a resolution on this matter I could not find
> any documents online regarding this issue.

Why do you post to -net & -bugs, these are not the right lists for this
kind of questions. stable or questions is better, and please don't
cross-post.

> At first we started installing FreeBSD5.4-RELEASE AMD64 LSI Megaraid was
> detected and raid was running in optimal. When it asked me to choose the slice
> it gave me a warning that the geometry for the drive is incorrect and to check
> with the BIOS for the true geometry and if this is a SCSI please check with the
> controller's algorithem (something). Which I searched online for with no clues.

This is probably harmless, I've never had any problems with it.

> Anyways went to system installation it starts installing bursting to 2600KB/s
> and after 55% it goes down to 800KB/s than when reaching ports it goes down to
> 33KB/s and this is CDROM installation!!

The ports are lots of small files it takes time to write these to disk,
this is normal.

> When system is installed completly we ran dd on the system a constant average of
> 2.1MB/s is the BEST performance we could get!

Check that the write cache are enabled on all your SATA disks in CTRL-M
objects->physical drive. I have run the 150-4/6 at over 100MB/s in
FreeBSD so there should be no problem with this setup.

Best Regards,
Martin

--
Martin Nilsson, CTO & Founder, Mullet Scandinavia AB, Malmö, SWEDEN
E-mail: martin@mullet.se, Phone: +46-(0)708-606170, Web: www.mullet.se

Our business is well engineered servers optimised for FreeBSD & Linux