Date:      Tue, 30 Jun 2015 14:01:18 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Ewald Jenisch <a@jenisch.at>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mix'n'match between packages an ports?

On Tue, 30 Jun 2015 13:53:03 +0200, Ewald Jenisch wrote:
> Here's my question: Is a "mix and match" between binary and
> source-installation (pkg.. vs. "make / portupgrade") possible on the
> same machine, or is it one or the other?
>
> Any experience with that? Caveats any?

I suggest you make yourself familiar with Poudriere. It's
a convenient way to build your own packages (from source)
and then installing them with pkg (i. e., having your own
package repository where dealing with custom compile-time
options is much easier).

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/ports-poudriere.html

https://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=poudriere&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+9.2-RELEASE+and+Ports&arch=default&format=html

Of course if you just need very few packages to compile
from source, using portmaster or portupgrade is still possible.
However, it might be neccessary to do the "lock / unlock"
action with pkg on the course of updating. It's important
to pay attention here - a custom package might be updated
with a binary one with different options (as the binary
packages are being built with the default options set by
the maintainer).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany