Date:      Sat, 27 Jun 1998 11:53:07 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        Chan Fook Sheng <chen68@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD parallel computing

On 25-Jun-98 Chan Fook Sheng wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> Is there a way to connect a few FreeBSD together to make a
> supercomputer?

Have a look at "pvm" (parallel virtual machine)
For SMP have a look at FreeBSD-3.0 (still under development)

> If yes, then can I assume that it's just providing load and memory
> sharing, or there is something more compare to a standalone FreeBSD?

For pvm you have to rewrite your application and link it against
the pvm-lib. The pvm-server then distributes the tasks to the machines
that have registered with the server over some network.
=> no implicit memory-sharing.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>