Date:      Thu, 29 Nov 2001 16:32:10 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>, Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG, Giorgos Keramidas <charon@labs.gr>
Subject:   Re: Feeding the Troll (Was: freebsd as a desktop ?)

Eric Melville <eric@FreeBSD.org> types:
> This is an excellent point which the most everyone seems to miss these
> days. I find windows very difficult to use as a desktop. Too much clicking,
> and not enough tools. So, for windows being user-friendly, I am a user too,
> and I don't find it friendly at all.

Quite correct. Let's take a very simple but very common task - moving
the focus to another window. The GOMS measure for that in ratpoison is
1.95 seconds; with Windows I believe it comes out to 3.45 seconds,
meaning using Windows is over 50% slower than ratpoison for that very
common operation. Of course, if there's some other way to move the
focus other than move your hand to the mouse, point at the window and
click on it, those calculations will be off.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.