Date:      Mon, 31 May 1999 21:23:34 +0100
From:      Dean Lombardo <dlombardo@excite.com>
To:        Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, mladavac@metropolitan.at, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: a two-level port system?  (fwd)

Luigi Rizzo wrote:
>>  Now, the problems are:
>>
>>   @ It takes a long time to...what?  cvsup the tree?  That's already
>
> to install the port distribution. it's the slowest part of the install
> process. developers may not experience that, but all other
> users (who buy the cd) do.

I'm sorry if I got the size wrong - I must have forgotten to exclude the
distfiles directory, although I must say that /usr/ports certainly
_feels_ a lot bigger than 44Mb...  Also, isn't there some penalty for
storing a large number of files less than the size of a fragment?  A
typical pkg/DESCR file may only be 22 bytes in size, but it still
occupies at least 512 bytes on disk.  So is 44Mb the _actual_ size of
the whole thing, as stored on disk, or just the sum of individual file
sizes?

I agree with Luigi that the slowest part is the first-time installation
of the ports tree.  I normally get download rates of 1Mb/sec from
src.doc.ic.ac.uk, but sysinstall slows down to 10Kb/sec when it comes to
installing the ports.  FreeBSD also seems a bit slow when dealing with
lots of small files.

Dean