Date:      Wed, 09 Aug 95 08:50:34 -0700
From:      tony@thing.sunquest.com
To:        Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: client & server ppp

> Perhaps kermit is being misused.  If you terminate it without hanging up
> and before starting pppd, and then try to start pppd, then there will be
> a race between pppd and getty to grab the port.  getty will probably win.
> If you terminate kermit normally then it will hang up.  Then there should
> be no races, but kermit will be of no use for starting pppd sessions.
>
> These problems may be avoided in many different ways:
> 1. suspend kermit instead of exiting from it.
> 2. some kludge to hold the device open after exiting from kermit.
> 3. run kermit from inside pppd.
> 4. run something simpler than kermit from inside pppd.

I agree with all of the above.

I got some excellent help from John Capo <jc@irbs.com>, and will be looking
at using pppd's built in chat option.

My only remaining comment regarding use of kermit is that maybe it should
be removed from the FAQ (/usr/share/FAQ/Test/ppp....).
I basically followed the instruction contained for setting up client side PPP
including the use of kermit scripts (which I pretty much copied verbatim)

I'd be happy to make some alterations to the PPP FAQ if folks think it is
worthwhile.

tony