Date:      Fri, 08 Apr 2005 18:01:50 -0500
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        Wendell Hatcher <wlh1074@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fetch ports timedout

Wendell Hatcher wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I have a slight problem with the 5.3 release and I
>checked all of your documentation,mailing,lists and on
>the web before coming to you. My problem is when I go
>into any port under the /usr/ports/directory and try
>building that port using make it times out. The only
>port that would build was the cvsup port and I used it
>to make my ports tree current so I know it is up to
>date. But when I go into a port make clean and make
>install none of the ports seem to work its goes out to
>fetch /ftp.XXXX and times out. I use a qwest dsl modem
>and I do not have a firewall setup but even if I did
>where would I make the changes neccessary for fetch to
>go out and download the ports. I can goto the
>sysinstall section and download ports and any data
>from any ftp site but when I try and do the same thing
>from the ports section it times out or when I try and
>use pkg_add the fecth keeps timing out.

Well, I don't know that we've enough specific
information above to give a specific diagnosis.

Can you surf/ping/telnet external hosts by
name?

What's in your environment that might affect
fetch?

Can you use ftp?  (e.g...:)

       $ ftp
       ftp> open ftp.freebsd.org
       Trying 62.243.72.50...
       Connected to ftp.freebsd.org.
       220-ftp.FreeBSD.org NcFTPd Server (licensed copy) ready.
       220-The FreeBSD mirror at TDC, in Aarhus, Denmark, Europe
       220-
       220-Contact: beastie@tdk.net
       220-Use wisely.
<snip motd>
       Name (ftp.freebsd.org:test): anonymous
       331 Guest login ok, send your complete e-mail address as password.
       Password:
       230-You are user #121 of 450 simultaneous users allowed.
       230-
       230 Logged in anonymously.
       Remote system type is UNIX.
       Using binary mode to transfer files.
       ftp> ls
      150 Data connection accepted from 19.207.11.50:57528; transfer
starting.
       drwxr-xr-x   3 ftpuser  ftpusers       512 May 13  2001 pub
       rwxrwxrwx 3 ftpuser ftpuser            85  Apr 5    3004  README
       226 Listing completed.
       ftp> get README
      150 Opening BINARY mode data connection for 'README' (85 bytes).
      100%
85     501.56 KB/s    00:00 ETA
      226 Transfer complete.
      85 bytes received in 00:00 (501.56 KB/s)
      ftp>

Just some thoughts...

Kevin Kinsey