Date:      Tue, 2 Jan 2018 15:14:55 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net>
To:        "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org, freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recommendations for cheap PCI-E network adapter ?

> I need to buy a PCI-E ethernet card.  It won't really matter if it
> is 10/100/1000 or just 10/100 but it has to work with FreeBSD at a
> minimum.  It would be Nice if it was also supported by Linux and
> Windoze7, but that isn't really critical.
>
> I'm a serious cheapskate, so I'd like to spend as little as possible.
> I don't need anything super-deluxe.  Whatever is cheapest will be fine,
> even if the performance is only so-so.
>
> Recommendations would be appreciated.
>

> P.S.  The small amount of research I just now did suggests that Realtek
> based cards should be avoided, but one reviewer said that the Rosewill
> RC-411v3 works just fine on Ubuntu, so I'm not sure what to think about
> Realtek-based cards now.  The price is right (for me) on the Rosewill
> RC-411v3, but various online threads (relating to Realtek chips) give
> me pause...
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/60033/
>
> https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/55861/
>
> I really can't see blowing fifty bucks on a simple, low-end ethernet card,
> but everything inexpensive seems to be Realtek-based. :-(

I would seek the used channel, you can easily get good Intel
chip based nics that just tend to work everywhere, are 10/100/1000,
for well under $20 shipped, and often close to $10.00.
ebay is the source.  Se the em(4) man page for a good list of
chips and cards.

These well outwork and outperform any realtek card you might find,
I have used realtek when it is a builtin, or for simple testing.
The 8111 gigabit chips seem to work well everyplace I have
used them.