Date:      Tue, 28 Nov 1995 13:36:27 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to "fix" more(1) vs termcap/terminfo?

Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu> wrote:

> I've been told that more is a trunccated version of 'less', and in this
> case, they're alike .... more -e will not exit until the second time it
> bangs against EOF.   You could do a 'setenv MORE -e' in your .cshrc to
> get the same effect.

Not quite...from 'man more' (on 2.1.0-950928-SNAP):

     -e    Normally, if displaying a single file, more exits as soon as it
      reaches end-of-file.  The -e option tells more to exit if it reach-
      es end-of-file twice without an intervening operation.  If the file
      is shorter than a single screen more will exit at end-of-file re-
      gardless.

Notice that last sentence.

> get the same effect.  I use less, it's one of the ports.

But then I'd have to retrain my fingers which have a mind of their own.  I
just removed the ti/te caps from my 'xterm' termcap file entry. (note that
the /etc/termcap from the FreeBSD distribution doesn't have ti/te entries
so most users won't see this unless they specify their own termcap file -
as I do to get things like cons25 on other platforms).

I'm considering generating a patch for the 'more' sources to address the
problem, but I'm generally swamped at work and there's an easy workaround,
so it might take a little time...

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org