Date:      18 May 2002 22:47:50 +0100
From:      "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
To:        "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>
Cc:        ecerejo@zapo.net, FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade XFree86-3.3.6? to XFree86-4.X

--=-TOWK4P0fHA1JZJk8cBhX

Does then mean that using /stand/sysinstall would not work?

I would ask that E. J. Cerejo simply confirm that using
/stand/sysinstall has worked for him in the past or something along
those lines. If anything, it'll probably mean a lot of people learning
something here today!

Stacey

On Sat, 2002-05-18 at 22:24, Kevin G. Eliuk wrote:
>=20
>=20
> E.J.Cerejo wrote:
> > If you installed using sysinstall then it should be as a distro, use sy=
sinstall again to remove it, just take the check mark out of xfree86 and ev=
erything related to it and it should remove it.
> >=20
> > I recomend you update your ports first using cvsup and then run pkg_ver=
sion -c > do_update and this will tell you what needs updating in your mach=
ine.  It will create a file "do_update" after you run the above command and=
 it will tell what needs to be updated.  Make sure that XFree86 dependencie=
s are also updated or might end up with two different versions installed.
>=20
> I differ on this point.  If you select to install X Windows during the=20
> binary selection (as shown by one of the ones indicated by the "X"=20
> below), this does not add the anything to /var/db/pkg.  Only if you=20
> select to add XFree86 after the binary installation does the packages=20
> database gget updated.  As I said this does appear to be changing for=20
> 4.6-RELEASE.
>=20
> pkg_manager has no way of uninstalling X windows if you install it as a=20
> distro.
>=20
>=20
> [ ] 4 Developer         Full sources, binaries and doc but no games
> [X] 5 X-Developer       Same as above + X Window System=20
>    [ ] 6 Kern-Developer    Full binaries and doc, kernel sources only=20
>=20
> [X] 7 X-Kern-Developer  Same as above + X Window System
> [ ] 8 User              Average user - binaries and doc only
> [X] 9 X-User            Same as above + X Window System
> [ ] A Minimal           The smallest configuration possible
>=20
> cont'd>
>=20
>=20
> >>Subject: Re: Upgrade XFree86-3.3.6? to XFree86-4.X
> >>  From: "S. Roberts" <sroberts@dsl.pipex.com>
> >>  Date: 18 May 2002 21:18:18 +0100
> >>    To: "Kevin G. Eliuk" <kg@dccnet.com>, ecerejo@zapo.net, kstewart@ow=
t.com
> >>    Cc: FreeBSD-Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> >>

> >>--=3D-7ekz47niJABAI3B8eILc
> >>
> >>Thank you all for your replies!
> >>
> >=20
> >>From what I've gathered here, there's definitely some consideration to
> >=20
> >>this after all.
> >>
> >>XFree86-3.3.6 was installed during installation via /stand/sysinstall,
> >>so that means that its there as a distribution (right?). Does this
> >>really mean performing:
> >>1] rm -rf on /usr/XFree84*
> >>2] Re-build all ports that depend on XFree86
> >>
> >>Say it ain't so!
> >>
> >>Stacey
>=20
> Unless you can gather enough information before the upgrade to remove=20
> any binaries/files/libraries from the old installation.
>=20
> I suppose another possibility would be to use pkg_add to install 3.3.6=20
> to update pkg's database and use then use portupgrade from the ports=20
> collection to upgrade to XFree86-4.
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
--=20
Stacey Roberts B.Sc. (HONS) Computer Science
Network Systems Engineer