Date:      Fri, 28 Jul 2000 17:16:12 -0700
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@gorean.org>
To:        "James F. Hranicky" <jfh@cise.ufl.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mapping serial break to ctrl-alt-del

"James F. Hranicky" wrote:

> Is there a kernel config option or some other quick-and-dirty way to map
> serial break to ctrl-alt-del (using a serial console, of course)?
>
> I know you can drop into the kernel debugger, but I'd like a surefire
> way to reboot a hung server remotely, a la break/sync on Sparc hardware.

	If you CAN get it in to DDB, then you can type 'call boot(0)' at the
prompt (no quotes obviously) should get you a clean reboot, assuming that
the system is capable of that at all. If that doesn't work, then it
probably needs a power cycle (or soft reset) anyway, so a keyboard solution
won't work.

Good luck,

Doug