Date:      Tue, 07 Nov 1995 14:16:51 -0800
From:      "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@geli.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Cannot fork

I am seeing a lot of this sort of thing with a "beefy" -STABLE kernel:

$ man memcpy
Formatting page, please wait...Cannot fork
Error executing formatting or display command.
system command exited with status 512
Failed.
$

Sometimes I get "system resources temporarily unavailable".
My user process limit is set to 40, but this happens with 10 or 20
processes a lot.  It seems to happen mostly when I'm running exmh
and fvwm.  How can I see what is consuming the "resources"?  (other than
ps)

The kernel is "beefy":

maxusers        64
options         "CHILD_MAX=256"