Date:      Mon, 12 Jan 2004 01:19:25 -0000
From:      Nielsen <nielsen@memberwebs.com>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org;, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gratituous ARP and the em driver

When I change IP addresses on my 'em' gigabit NIC, ARP isn't sent
properly. This appears to be the problem in the following bug report,
however i'm using the 'fixed' version of the em driver (in FreeBSD 4.9).

Does anyone have any tips on how to get around this?

I'm building new systems with gigabit ethernet support and this problem
keeps cropping up. I have a failover system, and when moving an IP alias
between machines, the em NIC driver doesn't properly send out gratituous
ARP, resulting in the IP being inaccessible.

- The problem does not occur when plugged into a 100BaseTX switch
- FreeBSD 4.9p1 / em version 1.7.16
- Tried various gigabit switches.
- One other odd thing is that when configuring the NIC (ifconfig) the
machine locks up for several seconds.

Thanks in advance.

Nate