Date:      Sat, 5 Sep 2015 12:47:30 -0700
From:      kah42pub <kah42pub@blarg.com>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: keeping up-to-date on RPi2/FreeBSD11

On 9/5/15 06:35, Ulrich Grey wrote:
> On Sat, 5 Sep 2015 13:53:16 +0100
> John <freebsd-lists@potato.growveg.org> wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>>
>> I'd like to keep my system up-to-date. Also, might be able to speed up
>> the system a bit by removing options witness/invariants. Although I can find
>> plenty of informative websites detailing how to initially build (using crotchet)
>> and install FreeBSD on RPi2, I can't find where (for RPi2) to configure the
>> kernel and build/installworld in-place on the RPi2. I can see the crossbuild
>> targets in /usr/src/Makefile on another -CURRENT machine but thought I'd ask
>> here first as freebsd-arm evolves very rapidly. Basically, I need to know:
>>
>> 1. where the kernel config file is
>
> /usr/src/sys/arm/conf
>
>> 2. how to build/install a new world on this platform
>
> See: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/makeworld.html
>
> Add swapspace.
> To change to single user mode I think you need a serial console.
>

>> for an in-place upgrade like you'd do on i386/amd64
>>
>> thanks,
>> --
>> John

For what it is worth, these steps work for me to update an RPI2 in
place. A serial cable is definitely required. Most of this was taken
from the FreeBSD documentation. I've omitted steps that are specific to
my configuration.

chflags -R noschg /usr/obj/*
rm -rf /usr/obj
cd /usr/src
make -j8 cleandir
make -j4 buildworld # This takes 8+ hours for me on RPI2
make -j4 buildkernel KERNCONF=RPI2 # This takes an hour or less on RPI2

# Plug in serial cable and connect/login for following steps
shutdown now
cd /usr/src
make installkernel
mount -u /
swapon -a
mergemaster -p
make installworld
mergemaster -iF
make delete-old

shutdown -r now

# Serial cable not needed after this step unless there is a problem

portsnap fetch update
portmaster -Raf
cd /usr/src
make delete-old-libs

This process recently took me up to 11.0-CURRENT r287441 without a
hiccup on the RPI2. Hope it helps. If anyone sees anything obvious that
I didn't do that I should have for the upgrade process, feel free to
speak up.

Also, powerd definitely works on RPI2. Having it enabled (allowing
stepped up CPU speeds under load) decreases the build world time by
hours - at least for me. Your mileage may vary.

Kris