Date:      Sat, 16 Jul 2011 23:01:40 -0500
From:      Joshua Isom <jrisom@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to force a hard reboot remotely

On 7/16/2011 9:40 PM, Aryeh Friedman wrote:
> Is there any way to force a complete power down and then reset of a
> i386 without physically being present?

Odds are this would be a little bit of a hardware mod.  Get a
microcontroller and a relay, and tell the microcontroller to kill power
to the system.  Make sure in the BIOS you're set to restart when the
power comes back on.  If that fails you'll need another relay to short
the on button.  I don't know of anything in the computer that could be
easily used instead of a microcontroller.

You might be able to find something that'll work related to home
automation.  But the only guarantee of a power down is physically
killing power, even if you're a thousand miles away.