Date:      Fri, 18 Oct 2002 15:14:21 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Martin Blapp <mb@imp.ch>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <security@freebsd.org>, <dan@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Apache DOS, help needed

Hi all,

In the meantime I've found some datapoints. This is a slapper DOS
attack, a linux work which has been modified to kill apaches or
to take them down.

All apaches (also 1.27) are vulnerable. It hammers the server till
all slots are filled, and then the apache server is not able to serve
any customers anymore until these requests timeout.

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=worm+apache+DOS+slapper&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3ebd7d0b.0210142024.75d362b6%40posting.google.com&rnum=5

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=worm+apache+DOS+slapper&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&selm=3ebd7d0b.0210142024.75d362b6%40posting.google.com&rnum=5

And this was proposed as fast fix:

# AWB - another attempt to keep apache from being DOS'd by slapper
ServerTokens ProductOnly
ServerSignature Off

Beside that DOS, I'm able to block apache with just a telnet and a perl
script.

I'd consider this as severe DOD vulnerability.

Martin

Martin Blapp, <mb@imp.ch> <mbr@FreeBSD.org>
ImproWare AG, UNIXSP & ISP, Zurlindenstrasse 29, 4133 Pratteln, CH
Phone: +41 061 826 93 00: +41 61 826 93 01
PGP: <finger -l mbr@freebsd.org>
PGP Fingerprint: B434 53FC C87C FE7B 0A18 B84C 8686 EF22 D300 551E