Date:      Tue, 29 Jul 2003 19:28:56 +0100
From:      Chris Howells <howells@kde.org>
To:        Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Large hard disk support in FreeBSD

Hi Robert,

On Tuesday 29 July 2003 01:10, Robert Watson wrote:

> Up until relatively recently, my main personal web service box was a
> Gateway 2000 P120 from '95 running FreeBSD 4.x, so I can speak to this
> with some confidence :-).  There are a few things you need to look at:

Many thanks for the answer, very informative. Has given me some confidence=
=20
anyway :) Before I was hearing conflicting arguments some people claiming=20
that the OS wouldn't be able to detect the disk if it was disabled in the=20
BIOS, and others claiming that disabling it in the BIOS was the right thing=
=20
to do.

> (1) BIOS revision.  Make sure you've flashed your BIOS forward as far as
>     possible -- some older Gateway 2000 BIOS's will hang if they see a
>     driver larger than they think is possible (I'm sure there's a better
>     technical definition, but the result is clear regardless :-).

Good point. Unfortunately Gateway's support seems to have gone completely=20
AWOL, Gateway UK no longer offer any form of support and downloads, and the=
=20
US Gateway site won't accept the machine's serial number so I'm not exactly=
=20
sure what BIOS I have to download... well I downloaded one which seemed to =
be=20
for an identical motherboard from the descriptions on the site but=20
unfortunately I couldn't get it to flash... will have another mess around=20
with that if I get problems.

> (2) Do you want to boot from the drive?  If I might suggest--don't even
>     try.  Boot from a drive known to work fine with the BIOS.  As you
>     suggest above, leave the drive unprobed (disabled) in the CMOS
>     configuration, which will help prevent the BIOS from tripping over it.
>     this will mean you can't use the drive in the loader before the kernel
>     is loaded, but since FreeBSD's device probing and management is pretty
>     much independent of the BIOS, it should work fine with FreeBSD.

OK, that sounds great. The machine has a 2 gig disk already which will rema=
in=20
the boot drive, the 80GB is going to be used for music/photos and stuff as=
=20
I've managed to fill the 40GB in my laptop already :)

> (3) The ATA controller built into your motherboard may not support larger
>     disk addressing, although I think that shouldn't be a problem with
>     60GB.  If you try to use a drive larger than addressable using the ATA
>     controller, you may want to pick up a cheap PCI ATA controller (or get
>     the "kit" version of the drive that has a new controller).

Right, sounds like a good idea. Maybe a good idea anyway from a performance=
=20
point of view since the board will support only UDMA 33 (is that the name f=
or=20
it?) whereas the new drive is meant to support UDMA 100. Hopefully the P150=
=20
processor can keep up :)

> (4) Cabling and support for non-PIO.  I found that my older motherboard's
>     ATA controller had problems negotiating higher rate transfers from the
>     disk, so ended up disabling the DMA support for at least one of the
>     drives I added.  You will probably also want to make sure you're using
>     the newer cable that will come with any recent drive, since that will
>     help avoid quality and negotiation problems.  You might end up needing
>     to force PIO support anyway if you're getting occasional timeouts from
>     the drive.

=46ine.

> That said, I ran just fine for about 8 years on my p120 -- I didn't want
> to take it out of service, but I needed more memory than the chipset could
> comfortably support.  Some of those systems can only cache the first 64MB
> of memory, so any additional memory is used uncached.  I ended up
> upgrading it to an E-Machine, go figure :-).  The old p120 is now back at
> home from colocation, and I'm sure I'll find a use for it at some point.

Nice. I'm running Squid, Samba, Pure FTPD, cups, bind, dhcpd, nfsd and ntpd=
=20
and FreeBSD seems to be doing a very nice job :)=20

=2D --=20
Cheers, Chris Howells -- chris@chrishowells.co.uk, howells@kde.org
Web: http://chrishowells.co.uk, PGP ID: 0x33795A2C
KDE/Qt/C++/PHP Developer: http://www.kde.org