Date:      Sun, 4 Apr 2004 16:06:24 -0600
From:      Jay Moore <jaymo@cromagnon.cullmail.com>
To:        John Duffey <jduffey@freeuk.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports hosed

-------- << snipped for brevity >> ---------------

> I'd recommend you try and fix whatever it is that's gone wrong
> with k3b though.
>
> It'll take far less time.

Thanks for the detailed procedure!

I think I get the point that you and Kent are trying to make. Some patches/
upgrades to the "base" 5.2 system will be required after I get there.

But I guess I'm not completely convinced that it'll take far less time. I
started the K3b port install Friday evening... I'm on about the third
iteration of portupgrade, and each iteration is an _extremely_ long process
on this old 350 MHz system with 211+ ports. Several of the port installs
require input from the console to continue, so I've been friggin' chained to
this desk all weekend long. Too much work, too much time!

Reading /usr/ports/UPGRADING still worries me when I get to the part about
KDE... at some point during the current "portupgrade" I expect my Konqueror
windows will start dying off. And I still don't know what I did to (e.g.) my
OpenOffice install when I responded to the prompts from pkgdb -F with
"Delete".

On the + side, I have learned some things about FreeBSD which is why I'm here
in the first place. I think I'm going to take your (and Kent's) advice, and
let this thing run its course. I've got new info re SSL and the instructions
in the UPDATING file - and of course the "bulldozer" procedure if that fails.
But best of all, I've got this list :)

I'll close this thread for now with my thanks to all. Future issues will be
posted to the list with the words "[5.2 portupgrade hairball]" in the subject
(forewarned is forearmed :)

Thanks Again,
Jay