Date:      Mon, 4 Jun 2012 08:43:00 +0200
From:      Baptiste Daroussin <bapt@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Doug Barton <dougb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD ports list <freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: New OPTIONS and make.conf knobs

--poemUeGtc2GQvHuH

On Mon, Jun 04, 2012 at 08:03:50AM +0200, Baptiste Daroussin wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 03, 2012 at 04:28:16PM -0700, Doug Barton wrote:
> > My understanding is that one of the benefits of the new OPTIONS
> > framework is that it's supposed to take make.conf knobs into account
> > when displaying the options dialog.
>=20
> yes it is if you use the new way of setting KNOBS aka a general:
> OPTIONS_UNSET=3D	NLS
>=20
> WITHOUT_NLS is not triggered as a compatibility from bsd.options.mk to
> OPTIONS_UNSET=3D NLS while NOPORTDOCS and NOPORTEXAMPLES are.
>=20
> >=20
> > I have WITHOUT_NLS defined in make.conf, but when I started an upgrade
> > today for x11-toolkits/libxfce4gui the dialog came up with all options
> > chosen (DOCS, NLS, STARTUP) even though I have the make.conf knob, and
> > the following in the existing options file:
> >=20
> > _OPTIONS_READ=3Dlibxfce4gui-4.8.1
> > WITHOUT_NLS=3Dtrue
> > WITH_STARTUP=3Dtrue
> > WITH_GLADEUI=3Dtrue
> > WITHOUT_APIDOCS=3Dtrue
>=20
> if you have an existing options file then the priority is set to what is =
in that
> options file.
>=20
> The priority is set that way:
> 1/ the options from the bsd.options.mk if any
> 2/ the default options chosen by the maintainer
> 3/ the options set in make.conf (OPTIONS_SET/OPTIONS_UNSET)
> 4/ the options set per port in make.conf (${UNIQUENAME}_SET/${UNIQUENAME}=
_UNSET)
> 5/ the options from the options file with 2 way of loading: them:
>   - the old one figuring out the informations WITH_/WITHOUT_
>   - the new one: just hit ok on the dialog and have a look at the file it=
 has
>     changed.
>=20
> >=20
> > The fact that the STARTUP option is still enabled is fine, although I
> > suspect it's probably a side effect. The fact that the other 2 options
> > are showing as enabled is a bug. In the case of NLS, it's likely at
> > least 2 different bugs.
>=20
> In my mind the NLS case is a single bug, the loading of old saved optionf=
ile
> which doesn't work as expected. I'll have a look, thanks for reporting
>=20
>=20
> > FWIW, this showed up using portmaster, which runs 'make
> > config-conditional' by default.
> >=20
> > Doug
> >=20
>=20
> regards,
> Bapt

btw the new options framework only reads and convert the WITHOUT/WITH stuff=
 from
optionsfile in case the old option framework is still in used in the ports.
Which is no more the case libxfce4gui.

I am open to suggestions here on how to do better things here.

regards,
Bapt

--poemUeGtc2GQvHuH

--poemUeGtc2GQvHuH--