Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 1995 10:29:04 +0200
From:      Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr
To:        Brian Tao <taob@gate.sinica.edu.tw>
Cc:        FREEBSD-CURRENT-L <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: /usr/share/man/cat?

 |    I don't see any sign of the /usr/share/man/cat? directories in
 |either the bin or manpage distributions.  The installer doesn't create
 |them either because the Pentium box here only has the man?
 |directories.  If we do include them, perhaps we should include an
 |option to run catman to generate the preformatted pages.  Warn the
 |user that this will at worst double the size needed to hold all man
 |pages, but with the benefit that you don't have to wait for nroff and
 |friends to do their work each time.

Provided the cat? directories are created and the owner and group are set
properly, man will handle this automatically. It formats the page the first
time you request it, and stores the preformatted version for later use.

If you want to get this running, take a look at the debug option of 'man'.
It will show you that man reformats the page everytime since the creation
of the cat?/manpage file fails.

(I can't provide more details, sorry. Don't have a freebsd box here at work)

	Gert-Jan

J.G. Vons, Oce engineering Creteil, France | E-mail: Gert-Jan.Vons@ocegr.fr