Date:      Fri, 5 Jan 2001 15:44:44 -0500
From:      David Banning <david@www3.pacific-pages.com>
To:        Robert Myers <ccrider@whiterose.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: no samba with inetd start

On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:00:56AM -0500, Robert Myers wrote:
> You are not looking for it to run all of the time are you?
I don't know.  I just want windows95 to print on my unix box.
When I run
$ smbd -D
$ nmbd -D

it seems to stay running, and it prints.
When I activate the entries (netbios...) in inetd.conf
there is nothing running, AND it does not print.

I just assumed that it would run so that I could see it with "ps -ax"
While printing does not work in this mode,
it seems to have some effect, as
$ smbd -D
$ nmbd -D
will not load and run if I boot with the inetd.conf entries present.

> Inetd will only run nmbd and smbd when requests come into the system on that
> port.
>
> Robert Myers
> Systems Administrator
> http://whiterose.net
> (717)439-1478

Never be led astray onto the path of virtue.