Date:      Sat, 15 Sep 2001 10:24:14 +0300
From:      charon <charon@labs.gr>
To:        Craig R <craigery13@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Console Screenshots

On Fri, Sep 14, 2001 at 11:57:43PM -0700, Craig R wrote:
> Is there a way that I can take a screenshot of one of the virtual consoles?
> I would like to be able to take full graphical screenshots, not just text.
> Any help would be appreciated.

Yes, of course, vidcontrol can do that.
If you pass the proper device as standard input,
it can grab virtual consoles even if they are not the active one.

For instance I start mutt on ttyv0 (inside a screen) and then
switch consoles to ttyv1 and type:

	% vidcontrol -p < /dev/ttyv0 > mutt.scr

With the help of scr2png port you can convert this .scr file
to a nice PNG image (for presenting on a web-page, etc).

-giorgos